In This Role, Key Responsibilities And Duties
- Subject and project exploration, strategy development, ideation, and design
- Landscape subject areas within coral reef conservation (e.g. genetic engineering, remote sensing, coral farming), reviewing the state of the field and preeminent players and strategies
- Identify “ways in” which maximize the impact return on investment and fit Vulcan’s criteria
- Work with MEL team on theory of change and impact measures
- Help identify good partners
- Help design projects, prepare and pitch project proposals, etc.
- Project execution
- For large projects, serve on execution team as subject matter expert seeking to maximize conservation impact
- For smaller projects, advise project leads also to help maximize impact (and in rare cases act as project lead)
- For all projects within the domain but especially science ones, develop an expert level of understanding of the science and subject area in order to advise on implementation, identify next steps and future projects for Vulcan to achieve conservation objectives, and respond to internal and external queries about the project findings and material
- Stay abreast of developments in coral reef conservation
- Carry out more intensive research as required for Vulcan strategy development and execution
- Working with the MEL team, from time to time review the impact of projects and programs and assess progress towards achieving Grand Challenges
- Deliver information
- Present results and findings, briefings, concept notes, and proposals internally to Vulcan audiences including Paul Allen through consultations, oral briefings, written reports, etc. gauged so as to be maximally accessible and useful
- Present results and findings externally through scientific and popular publications, press briefings, social media, presentations, etc. so as to publicize Vulcan and Paul Allen’s accomplishments, interests, and expertise in biodiversity conservation and to mobilize action towards Vulcan objectives
- PhD in coral reef biology or conservation, or in exceptional cases a Masters degree and equivalent experience
- At least 5 years postdoctoral research experience relevant to the domain
- At least 5 years’ experience applying domain expertise to practical impact-driven implementation (e.g. through government, NGO, foundation, or private sector)
- Recognition within the domain area as a clear thinking, strategic and entrepreneurial expert, including scientific and popular publications, talks, and press work
- An effective network of expert contacts within the domain area
- Demonstrate ability to master scientific and subject matter detail in new areas within the domain area rapidly and effectively
- Demonstrate ability to translate that understanding into strategic, out-of-the-box, practical advice for implementation, strategies, project opportunities, policies, etc.
- Demonstrate ability to communicate that understanding effectively to experts and non-experts both orally and in writing and translate it into practical and policy advice
- A track record of developing innovative,effective ways in and solutions to problems within the domain area
- A track record of contributing to rapid, effective execution of impact-driven projects within the domain area
- Experience measuring, evaluating, and reporting on the impact of projects and programs and drawing lessons learned
- Experience leading strategic planning including landscape assessment, development of goals and objectives, and identification of effective strategies
- Demonstrate ability to gain support from various stakeholders for project ideas and proposals
- A track record of working effectively in teams, and leading them
- A track record of providing supportive advice and expertise in furtherance of others’ professional objectives within an organization
- Ability to understand Vulcan and Paul Allen’s strengths and perspectives, to apply those to the field of coral reef conservation, and to commit fully to a strategy that leverages those strengths and perspectives
- Ability to thrive in a fast paced and complex environment with changing responsibilities and expectations
- Demonstrate honesty, integrity and fulfillment of commitments
The Senior Strategy Manager, Coral Reef Conservation, reports to the Director of Biodiversity Conservation. It is a full-time position based at Vulcan’s headquarters in Seattle, with approximately 20% time travel.Vulcan is an equal opportunity employer that values diversity at our company. We encourage people from all walks of life to apply without regard to race, age, gender, religion, disability, LGBTQ status, or any other characteristic protected by law. Our management team does not tolerate discrimination or harassment at any point during our employees’ and applicants’ time with us, especially with respect to recruitment, hiring, placement, promotion, transfer, training, compensation, benefits, employee activities, and general treatment during employment.If you need accommodation during the application or hiring process, please contact Human Resources at email@example.com or your recruiter.
Advertisements so SEVENSEAS Media can remain a free resource for you:
Get a weekly email of new job listings by subscribing here.
Click here to learn more about the SEVENSEAS Media Global Marine Community jobs list.
Check out our conservation calendar so you don’t miss out on upcoming events.
Find the latest articles on SEVENSEAS Media here.
Want to get in touch with questions or a submission? Contact us here.
To apply for this job please visit the following URL: http://firstname.lastname@example.org →