Website SCS Global Services
Setting the Standard for Sustainability.
The Aquaculture Stewardship Council Manager in the Sustainable Seafood Program is responsible for overseeing account management and certification procedures for all ASC species standards to which SCS maintains accreditation: these currently include Salmon, Shrimp, Bivalves, Abalone, and Seriola & Cobia. Additionally, the Manager is responsible for overseeing the technical staff and auditors and collaborating on oversight of operations and day-to-day workflow with the auditors, the Program Coordinator, and Director.
- Aquaculture Stewardship Council (ASC)
Roles and Responsibilities
- Forecast revenues and earnings by quarter; manage workflow to ensure financial objectives are met
- Evaluate and approve program costs and expenses within corporate guidelines
- Collaborate with Director to establish sales goals, overall strategy for affiliates and strategic regional investment.
Program Quality and Ongoing Development:
- Oversee development of program materials, comply with corporate and scheme-level quality system guidelines
- Collaborate with Scheme Owners to update and further develop standards, and associated processes and materials, as needed
- Work with Director and coordinator to submit interpretations to clarify requirements in the ASC standards as needed
- Develop and implement procedures to increase quality and efficiency of auditing services
- Collaborate with Coordinator to develop work instructions, internal guidance, and auditor calibration
- Prepare key points/technical material for ASC TAG meetings
- Represents SCS in a professional manner at meetings, conferences, trainings
- Provide guidance to Coordinator on key needs to address accreditation compliance and internal audits
Technical and Operational Oversight:
- Maintain current and thorough understanding of relevant Standards and their applications
- Lead technical team on technical interpretation of Standards, complex technical issues, and ensure consistency in interpretation among staff and contractors in consultation with the Director
- Conduct technical review of Standards, audit reports, making certification decisions as needed
- Collaborate with coordinator and Director to build relevant quality system internally and to control affiliates, to increase quality and efficiency of auditing services
- Work with Director to update overall contracts with affiliates, or clauses in contracts with affiliates, as needed
Staff and Auditor Management:
- Recruit and hire technical staff and contract auditors as needed to ensure sufficient operational capacity, in consultation with the Director
- Oversee initial and ongoing training for program technical staff and contract auditors
- Collaborate with coordinator on daily workflow of audit projects
- Oversee technical and program development assignments in collaboration with Director
- Evaluate technical staff and auditor performance, provide feedback, review performance, ensuring consistent delivery of high-quality work from each team member in consultation with the Director
- Lead program specific meetings; participate in required management and professional development training
Auditing and Verification:
- Conduct audits in relevant scopes and schemes (ASC, GlobalGAP, BAP)
- Maintain positive client relationships and respond to all client inquiries and concerns
- Minimum B.S. or B.A. degree in an environmental or sustainability-related field; Master’s/ Ph.D. degree in aquaculture or 2+ years working experience in aquaculture operations strongly preferred
- Demonstrably successful management experience and/or attainment of a high level of performance auditing relevant programs
- Fluency in English and Microsoft office suite as well as professional written communications necessary
- Superlative organizational skills, with the ability to direct a staff working on multiple complex projects with time sensitive deadlines
- Strong critical thinking skills and the ability to build streamlined operating systems
- Strong customer service and team coordination skills
Additional Preferred Qualifications
- Knowledge of relevant standards, procedures and quality systems desirable
- An abiding interest in aquatic/marine sustainability, the SCS mission
- 2+ years working experience in aquaculture (education or operations) strongly preferred
- Strong fluency in Spanish or Japanese preferred, any second language skills desirable
- Driver’s license
This is an office based job. Sit 6+ hours per day. Keyboarding 6+ hours per day. Must be able to lift and carry 15 pounds. Must be able to speak and listen in person and on the phone. Auditing may require international travel and extensive hours in the field. Must be able to walk and hike on rugged terrain and work in varying climates and outdoor environments.
The above description is intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed. It is not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills required. All personnel may be required to perform duties outside of their normal responsibilities from time to time as needed.
SCS Global Services, Inc. provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, disability, genetic information, marital status, amnesty, or status as a covered veteran in accordance with applicable federal, state and local laws. SCS Global Services, Inc. complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including, but not limited to, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation, and training.
Advertisements so SEVENSEAS Media can remain a free resource for you:
Get a weekly email of new job listings by subscribing here.
Click here to learn more about the SEVENSEAS Media Global Marine Community jobs list.
Check out our conservation calendar so you don’t miss out on upcoming events.
Find the latest articles on SEVENSEAS Media here.
Want to get in touch with questions or a submission? Contact us here.
To apply for this job please visit the following URL: https://www.scsglobalservices.com/careers →