MarAlliance is a small dynamic international non-governmental organization that designs and
conducts collaborative grassroots research and conservation action on threatened marine
megafauna such as sharks, rays, turtles and large finfish. Our remit is broad and ambitious
and we work across seven countries in three languages.
Through our work with communities and especially late primary students, we help to develop
scientific wonder and thinking to educate and promote the understanding and stewardship of
marine megafauna. Our program specifically tackles key related issues such as sustainable
seafood consumption, mitigation of threats to threatened species including pollution and loss
of critical habitats, the importance of science to underpin management and the use of
conservation tools such as marine protected areas. We aim to foster a sense of pride and
ownership in the next generation toward their natural heritage – and help them to develop a
science-based outlook and voice in support of the big fish of the sea.
We seek an energetic and enthusiastic Education and Outreach Volunteer to be based out of
Panama City, Panama with occasional project work in different sites throughout the country.
The successful candidate will work directly with the Country Coordinator and the Panama
team with linkages to MAR’s other Education and Outreach Staff to execute MarAlliance’s
Education Campaign in Panama. Activities will be conducted in multiple locations and
environments, including classrooms, outdoor fairs and may include field trips aboard small
vessels and in the water. Some travel to other provinces may be required.
The candidate needs to be a detail-oriented, highly organized self-starter with proven
creative talents and a strong work ethic. The candidate must possess good inter-personal
and communication skills (verbal and written), and fluency in Spanish is required. Experience
or knowledge of marine biology and elasmobranchs are helpful, but not required. The ability
to work to tight deadlines, both independently and as part of a multi-cultural team, as well as
flexibility and a sense of humor is crucial.
• Work with the National Coordinator and the MAR Communications and Marketing
Coordinator to generate novel and creative education and outreach materials related
to marine megafauna conservation and management that align with the
organisation’s mission and priority areas;
• Support the National Coordinator in working with the Department of Education, school
directors and teachers to implement interactive educational presentations at primary
and secondary schools in and around Panama City (and possibly in other provinces
including Los Santos, Bocas del Toro, and Colón);
• Work with the National Coordinator to seek out potential public outreach opportunities
within Panama and represent MarAlliance at such events;
• Preparation of outreach materials for use in several media streams (web, blog, social
media, paper, TV);
• Adapt the education materials to other age groups, sectors and countries where
necessary, including tour guides, NGO biologist staff and fishers;
• Monitor and evaluate learning and impact of education and outreach using MAR
assessments and metrics;
• Assist in training activities and data collection for scientific monitoring activities
• Work remotely with MAR’s Education and Outreach Officers to identify best practices
for the Panama program;
• Report preparation, data entry and other administrative or logistical tasks as needed.
• Bachelor’s Degree in relevant field
• Fluency in Spanish
• Demonstrated experience in teaching and communication, both written and oral
• Good to excellent presentation skills
• Experience and appreciation for working with children preferred
• Strong swimmer and snorkeler
• 1st Aid certified
MarAlliance requests a minimum time commitment of 6 months. This post is based in
Panama City, Panama and requires the candidate to be fully self-funded. Travel and
subsistence costs for work outside of Panama City will be covered.
Please submit a single PDF that includes your cover letter and current resume (CV) to
firstname.lastname@example.org by February 28th 2018. When submitting your application via email,
please title the subject line “MAR Education and Outreach Volunteer Panama”
Please be sure to mention where you saw the position advertised in your cover letter.
SEVENSEAS Media is close to reaching our fundraising goal thanks to donations from wonderful supporters like you! We are aiming to raise $14,000 before April 15. Please consider a tax-deductible donation by clicking the button here.
- Running community building projects in 174 countries
- Engaging student ambassadors in over 50 universities
- Forming strategic alliances and partnerships with over 200 professional organizations
- Publishing over 400 authors, photographers and researchers
- Inspiring and educating our readers through rich imagery, engaging content and a compelling conservation message.
Find the latest articles on SEVENSEAS Media here.
Want to get in touch with questions or a submission? Contact us here.
To apply for this job email your details to email@example.com